If you’ve fantasized of a car that pairs luxury with the speed, style and all things ‘electric’, looks like your dream just came true. S Deepika takes us on a spin about the 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition
- With its elegantly efficient design inspired by the diverse landscapes of California, the car places a high emphasis on style from the get-go.
- The stainless-steel roof brings a DeLorean deja vu, with a vibe reminiscent of Citroën vehicles. Customers can choose between stunning metallic colors of Zenith Red, Infinite Black, Stellar White, or Eureka Gold.
- The 21-inch Aero Dream alloy wheels are crafted with an ultra-aerodynamic yet bold design that marries resilience with performance.
Efficiency and Mechanics
Engine and Performance
- Powered by two robust identical motors for its front and rear, each producing an impressive 1000 horsepower (and spinning at 20,000 rpm) for a power density of 4.11 hp per pound that manifests as nearly three times powerful when compared to other vehicles.
- The car’s lean, aerodynamic aesthetic, smooth frontal area, super clean underbody, and minimized cooling make it ideal for low drag with a coefficient of about 2.
- Its long wheelbase of 115 inches gives it an elongated aesthetic and, more importantly, results in quick acceleration, enhancing the vehicle’s stability on the road.
- The difference in cabin or external noise from the car is highly invisible, except the little motor whine of the engine, which is barely noticeable.
- The harder you push, the faster and better the Lucid dream edition gets. It jumps out of corners, much like the way a NISMO GT-R takes spins on the roads.
- The Lucid takes a two-pillar approach with prevention and protection upholding the safety strategy.
- The weight of Lucid Air’s battery pack gives it a low center of gravity, significantly reducing rollover danger and improving handling in a way that can help a driver better prevent a crash.
- With a structure primarily constructed of bonded aluminum — lightweight and strong — Lucid Air offers superior protection to occupants in an impact.
Tech And Infotainment
- The horizontal floating infotainment screen behind the driver’s wheel comprises of an inflated palette of small screens lending the Lucid Dream a futuristic feel.
- The distinguishing feature that has all eyeballs is the Lucid Dream’s identity as a luxury electric vehicle, with no compromise on performance or style. Predictably, this has more traditional drivers stumped, especially the aspect of charging, but the Lucid has that figured out. Its 900-volt architecture reduces the number of times the driver has to recharge this electric beast, so the vehicle has an impressive 500-mile range over a single charge.
Closely competing with the Lucid Dream in acceleration and top speed is the 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid. However, the Lucid has proven to be an exceptionally high-performing vehicle with an undefeated range, hence both ultimately represent a luxurious ride with off-road and on-road bling, paired with comfort and speed.
With electric vehicle (EV) makers conquering range anxiety, often the most stated amongst people reluctant to buy electric cars, this vehicle will be leading the dissolution of this worry for most car enthusiasts. Already, it has pulled ahead of the competition after the Lucid Air received a rating of 520 miles per charge of range from the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
The Lucid Air Dream Edition is priced at $169,000, thus closely-ranked against the Mercedes S-class.
WHEN DOES IT LAUNCH?
The Lucid Dream Edition has been cruising the lanes since October 2021, so you can head to the website to design your own ‘Dream’.